x-FU(s)ION-International Research Internship in Japan for Undergraduate Students
The Illinois renewable energy PIRE project is currently accepting applications from outstanding undergraduate students to carry out 2 month paid undergraduate research internship in Kyushu University (KU), Japan. The goal of the x-FU(s)ION international research internship is to increase students’ awareness, exposure and motivation about renewable energy research and provide students with a unique global workforce experience. All award recipients are required to present the results of their project (as a poster presentation) at the PIRE annual meeting as well as contribute to the PIRE outreach program during Academic Year 2017-2018.
The internship pays for a 2 month (June 12 to August 11) summer internship. The internship dates are fixed. Successful applicants will work with faculty, students and postdocs on experimental and computational projects focusing on the use of solid oxide electrolysis cells to transform renewable energy into chemical energy and store it for later use. The internship will expose students to the energy storage grand challenge and provide them access to the world-class experimental facilities and resources at KU. Knowledge of Japanese language is preferred, but not a necessary requirement.
- The student must submit a (1) one page personal statement, (2) resume, and (3) transcript. The one page personal statement should address: (i) why you are interested in this internship, (ii) what you hope to gain from this experience, and (iii) your professional goals.
- The recipient must have a demonstrated scholastic excellence.
- At least sophomore standing with demonstrated interest in energy research
- US Citizenship is required.
- $4000 summer stipend
- Room and board
- Roundtrip airfare
- Health Insurance
- Culture and language orientation
HOW TO APPLY:
The application should be submitted online at the Illinois Study Abroad Website here. The application deadline is January 23, 2017.
A committee of faculty will interview the finalists and make the final decision on the award recipients.
<<<< Back to Outreach & Education.
<< Back to xFU(s)ION Exchange Program.